All weather forecasting companies have access to the same data basic. The differences between the final forecasts are due to how each company interprets and adjusts the data they receive from weather models.
The forecasts on OpenSnow are updated every hour with a proprietary blend of global data from the GFS (American), GDPS (Canadian), and ICON (German) weather models, along with high-resolution data from the HRRR (American) and HRDPS (Canadian) weather models.
The benefits of this approach include:
- Proprietary algorithm to improve the snow-to-liquid ratio, precipitation, lightning, temperature, and wind speed calculations for cold, mountain environments.
- Provides the ability to create a forecast for any location (and elevation) to ensure that we are forecasting conditions on the mountain and not for a nearby town.
- An improved method for calculating the snow level (elevation that separates rain from snow) to provide a more realistic forecast, especially at the beginning of storms and during times of intense snowfall.
- Blending multiple global and high-resolution models increases accuracy and confidence in the forecast.
The data can be viewed as hourly forecasts for the next 5 days or daily forecasts for the next 10 days and includes:
- Day & Night Snow Forecast
- Day & Night Snow Level
- Daily High & Low Temperature
- Hourly Chance of Precipitation
- Hourly Temperature
- Hourly Lightning Potential
- Hourly Wind Speed, Gust, & Direction
- Hourly Cloud Cover %
This blend of proprietary forecast data is updated every hour on OpenSnow for thousands of locations around the world and we are adding new locations every day.